It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Good Wishes All Year - Public

Les Victoires de la Musique Classique ...

We are all familiar with the problem, I guess: The best ideas for birthday presents one always gets in the middle of the year. In PJ's case, this would be September.
If you feel you created something special you want to gift PJ with -- The threads won't get stale, so just feel free to post something.
Every singer I know loves "good luck" and "all the best" wishes and appreciates them, whatever time of year it is.

Les Victoires de la Musique Classique ...

Postby Lankin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:16 pm

We're keeping our fingers crossed tonight!

http://www.lesvictoires.com/
Lankin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Les Victoires de la Musique Classique ...

Postby Lankin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 pm

;( It wasn't meant to be, but I enjoyed the performance a lot. Thanks @BabyBunny who just pointed out the link to me.

We noticed everything. The details of the shirt (What are those laces, actually, we didn't give them enough attention in the Mitridate video, obviously...) Just kidding. I noticed that the interpretation differed from others I heard, the colour of the vowels is much more unified now, no more "e" vs. "ä" switches. I am not sure yet which version I like more, as I don't mind such petitesses.

The acoustics in the hall seem strange; if the voice comes back to you, delayed and amplified, it can be hugely distracting and irritating. Also, no matter if you rehearsed in the hall before -- once it is full, it sounds all different and much drier. I guess this was at least in part to blame for the not 100% perfect initial coloratura PJ caused the audience to forget when adding yet a little more fierceness to the second "venti."

I like other versions, too, especially the one with Jean-François Zygel. Alright, but this version is not part of the competition, as obviously, there wasn't a sound engineer but a veritable god at work there, and it's hard to leave his or her part out in this recording.

The 2012 version sounds a lot more adult, while the version with Zygel seems more boyish and casual.

As always with that aria, I would have preferred if the bassoon player would be right next to the singer. It's a real neck-breaker for the bassoon, and in general, bassoon players are people too! They deserve some attention from time to time! What is the guy called? Does anyone have any info? I will write an appreciation-blog-note.
Lankin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BabyBunny » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Cutie!

Don't be sad, Lankin. An award isn't something that you should expect or take for granted. If you are too greedy, you risk being disappointed too often. That said, I love to hear him singing Pie Jesu(again it's a piece that I did not appreciate until I heard his interpretation).
BabyBunny
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lankin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 pm

No, I'm not really sad. A price is nice, but it is always the vote of a majority. Also, the "Pie Jesu" wasn't the nominee, but the whole record. I haven't heard the contestants, either.

But still, well, yeah, I am always glad if another prize is added to the impressive list ;)

By the way, this reminds me of a blog note I wrote concerning opera-related rewards. But I'll link you in private ;)
Lankin
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Good Wishes All Year - Public